Friday, October 21, 2011

I promise I really did finish something!

I had to immediately use the beautiful Jovial FQ that I got yesterday. It feels so fantastic, and pictures online do not do this beautiful print enough justice.  I knew that I wanted it to be a table runner, and for it to be the focal point in the center [my thought process was for it to have a vase of ornaments or pine cones or something on the middle part of the runner]. But it does need to be longer, so I was trying out ideas for the ends. Clearly, this picture below does not work. I think I've decided on just simple log cabins on the end with the center print being more Jovial. That means those pinwheels are destined for something else!



I've started work on my Grinch quilt for the craft fair. I got a panel and some coordinating fabrics and I'm thinking some very wonkily [wonkily - hahaha] placed blocks on a white background. I have some flannel in that pea green that might end up being the majority of the backing. Seriously, look at that cute fabric!


And now, my experiment: That's my hand-quilted autumn pillow [although the quilting lines run horizontal, not vertical like in the photo]. So I wasn't paying attention when I was sewing the other night, and sewed the binding onto the back of the pillow. Obviously, this is a problem, but I just don't have the heart or the time to rip out those tiny stitches. Enter, my idea. I'm seeing what will happen if I use that Steam-a-Seam to fuse down the binding to the front of the pillow. That strip of binding is already done, and so far so good. And um, it took me like 3 minutes to do. I will finish the pillow, wash it, and report back!


I obviously wouldn't use that technique for everything, but in a pinch for things like pillows or hot pads, or especially decorative items...well, we will see what happens.

And finally, my finished scrappy pillow! I'm linked up over at Amanda Jean's [crazy mom quilts] Finish it up Friday. Yay for finishes!
My apologies for the lighting and cell phone picture, but I just didn't have time for anything else. The pillow on the left is from my couch that I made a few weeks ago so my boyfriend could have a pillow all his own. Then I wanted to make another pillow like it for the craft show, so we have the one on the right. I actually didn't really like it as I was quilting it. But I have to say, that navy blue binding really sold me on it, and now I hope it makes some little boy or girl [or big boy or girl!] happy.
Stats: 16" pillow; fabrics include Children at Play, Countdown to Christmas, Modern Meadow, Hullaballoo, 1001 Peeps, Tailor Made, Going Coastal; backing is Kona Marine and binding is Kona Navy; envelope closure


Happy Friday! :)

6 comments:

  1. Yay! You did a great job!! :o)
    Have a nice weekend.
    Sincerely, Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I really like the one on your banner. It would be hard not knowing anyone who quilts. I am the only one in my family who does and my mom and sisters think it's an odd hobby. I am sure you will find great friends in blogger land! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Grinch quilt is going to be awesome. That green stripe-y fabric is perfect.

    Now I'm curious, where on earth did you find the Grinch fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrsblocko, I got the Grinch fabric [and several other Dr. Seuss prints] from fabric.com during one of their sales. Robert Kaufman is actually releasing additional Dr. Seuss prints in late November; they're all so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving all of your projects, and really enjoyed my visit to your blog. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the blue binding on the pillow really does tie everything together. it looks great! and i totally agree, hurray for finishes!! :)

    LOVE the grinch panel. that's awesome!!!

    thanks for linking up to finish it up Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Messages from friends :)